Module 8
I'm from Dominican
Republic, a little island in the Caribbean, like you could imagine in a 3rd
world country having a computer at home back then, I'm talking about 15 or more years ago, was a luxury that not
everyone could afford. I was first introduced to computers when I was in middle
school. The students only had one or two hours a week of computers class and we
were not allowed to use the internet, just learn about the computer and how to
use it. I remember that computer class
was the favorite class of most kids, mostly because we were all curious about
computers or maybe because of the fact that after the lesson was over we could
use paint until the hour was over.
When I got to High
School computer class was more important, I was in an all girls school and the
principal wanted to make sure that we got of school with some knowledge of
technology so I remember having computer class 3 times a week for 2 hours.
During this lessons we were thought how to type, use different computers
programs and finally I was able to use the internet at school, but only for
research. I can say that in School I learned all the basics skills of computers
that I use so much today. The skills
that I learned back then not only helped me with my education today but also
helped to get a job not only on Dominican Republic but also in the United
States.
After my first year in High School I remember
using the internet a lot for my assignments, to have a little bit more
information that what I had in books and to avoid going to the library. Today
almost if not all aspects of school involves computers. Is not only used to
research, we now use it to actually turn in our assignments and communicate
with professors and other students. The internet has made possible for students
to attend college completely online, making it easier for a person to set their
own time to study and not having to go the campus.
I am one of those
students who cant attend campus everyday, so computers are actually the most
important factor on my education. I can take my classes online and they are a
huge help on my research papers. I can find information from many sources and
communicate with teachers and even with tutors to help me out if needed. I can
say that I'm happy computers have taken such a great role in our education, I
don’t think I will be going to School today if I didn't have the chance to be
an all online student.
I'll bet it would be a different living in a different country. Computers have really taken over and become more popular than real books. I wrote in my post that I wasn't sure if we would know what to do anymore if computers went away and we had to go back to books. I think it would be a very hard transition. Great Post!!!!
ReplyDelete