Saturday, February 2, 2013

Module 4



                                                                                      Module 4


This week our assignment was to conduct a research on a job connected to computers or networks. I decided to talk to my Friend Carol. She works as an I.T. support specialist for a private company. She is from Dominican Republic, like me and we've known each other for years. Every time I've needed help or want information on a new software she is the one I call. Because I'm living in Utah and she still in Dominican Republic this interview we did it over Skype.

I talk to my family and my closest friends almost everyday, over Skype while using the computer or just text messages, we never go over 3 days without talking to each other but usually we talk about other stuff, not details about our jobs, so it was a little different this time when I had to make my friend sit and explain me her work over the video chat. We got out of context during the whole interview but she help me get the information I needed.

The first thing I asked her was to explain me why she decided to be an I.T. specialist, she told me that her first computer was used and every now and then will come up with some problem, she had someone fix the computer for her  a couple of times but they didn't do a good job so she decided to go on Google and find step by step information on what to do instead of paying someone to do it wrong. She said that there was nothing to lose with her trying to do it herself because the computer was going to die sooner or later anyways. After that she got fascinated with knowing how the computers worked and how to solve any issues with them.

After that I told her to explain me what she does everyday at work. She gets to work at 6:00 am everyday and the first thing she most do is verify that all tickets or problems from the day before are solved, she has to check the daily performance of all the computers systems, she also has to go and personally check that all employee computers have the appropriate software and that it works like its supposed to. She told me they keep records of data and they can access to see everything that has been downloaded to any computer in the company. They have to check to make sure employees are not downloading anything that is not work related. She also has to keep herself at par with training and/or manuals for new software and if there is any problem they have to create tickets, keep a record of it, give a report on how they solved it or what the problem was and also follow up to make sure the problem was completely solved.

She really likes her job and anything that has to do with computers. after this interview I know that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to and I.T. specialist job and it actually sounds really cool being able to know what to do with computers and how to fix them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment